Divya Murarka on Research for her book Purnah


Divya Murarka tells about the journey of her book, Purnah, a book focusing on single parenting. Divya had done extensive research by conducting surveys, interviewing child counselors, psychologists, parents. She shares with us the thought behind her book, the research and a few tips. 
 
What prompted you to write a book on parenting?

When my son and his friends curiously asked certain challenging questions, my throat dried up searching for answers. Finally I came to terms with it and mustered the courage to answer them. A series of questions followed with time. At every step I took guidance and drew on my inner strength to give a rationale and age‑appropriate answer to my son. It wasn’t easy.

It is not that these questions have not been asked before, but they remain unanswered. As a person who was challenged by such situations in life, I connected to all those who were struggling with similar circumstances. 

Through these experiences, I realized that there is a need in society at large to be more inclusive to make all family structures a part of our lives. This compelled me to write a book about my experiences and the experience of other parents in similar predicaments.



Can you share about the surveys you've done? 

I started putting together my experiences around the challenges I faced as a single parent and started connecting with other parents on their challenges and how they overcame them. I was amazed by the stories I heard and how powerful these stories were. 

How about the research done for the book?

Stories move us, make us feel alive, and inspire us to make good decisions to the benefit of the child. They are also powerful means of fostering social cooperation and understanding social norms. I took more time to listen to the stories of many parents who are both the nurturers and the providers for the child. I conducted several surveys and workshops at the British Library, Hyderabad, for parents to reflect on their parenting journey. 

It was heartening to see parents actively participating and sharing their stories. Parents mentioned that it was amazing to learn from the real time stories of other parents. They were relieved when they realized that they were not alone in this journey, there were many others on the same boat. I decided to put my personal story as a thread, which strings together the pearls of the stories of other wonderful parents that I have met on this journey.

I also consulted educators and counsellors to understand what was the gap they were seeing in the children and the parents. I gathered stories around those topics and put forth perspectives to address those issues. It was an art to weave all the learnings and stories in simple words.

In this book, you will find enriched experience of parents in different situations and different stages of parenting that could resonate with you and hopefully help you.


During the process of writing, were there any incidents that moved you and made you feel proud of what you were doing?

When I was connecting to various parents, I was humbled by the stories they shared and I was deeply grateful for what I had in my life. One thing which I found common in single parents was they were all doing something for the society. I was in awe of how they managed to find the time to raise a child and do something else. But that was their driving force. It gave me the power to continue on my journey of sharing my learnings as a parent for a greater purpose.


Tips for writers on research


· Talk to the readers, find out what are the gaps, what is the purpose, what is the problem you are trying to solve?

· Talk to experts and key opinion leader on that subject. In my case it was educators, counsellors, mindfulness coach, and experienced parents.

· Various reviews help in gathering diverse viewpoints.

· Read books of other writers. It will give an idea what is already spoken about.

· Look at the trend. What are parents musing about?


Please let our readers know more about your book and where can they get a copy from.

Purnah – The Complete Parent, is for all parents and educators to be prepared and to prepare kids for the everchanging course of life. With the evolution of the family structures, of the society, and the economy at large, there is a need to adapt our parenting styles for the millennials. The book weaves in stories of the experiential learning of many parents. It helps you built your emotional and the adversity quotient. It also touches upon some special things we need to bear in mind while raising children singly.

Buy PURNAH - The Complete Parent. Book Online at Low Prices in India | PURNAH - The Complete Parent. Reviews & Ratings - Amazon.in

You can also share your stories on parenting with the author at purnamridam@gmail.com


 









Comments

Popular Posts