How I Eat my Mangoes is None of Your Business by Vidya Premkumar illustrated by Raaga Katta

              




Slurph, whoosh, mmmmmph,
Yummmm, chomp, chomp,
Slurph

I will lick from elbows up 
all the way to the finger tips,
leaving a trace of saliva upwards,
where yellow juice runs down
my fingers
down the hand
pausing at the elbow
waiting for my mouth
and I oblige,
my body humming 
with pleasure
as the sweetness explodes
on my tongue.

I don’t have the patience 
to take a knife,
make artistic almost geometric cuts
on the mango and then 
flip them out,
and delicately pick each piece
with a fork.

When summer comes,
and the heat makes me wanton,
I need to sink my teeth
into its running yellow
and feel the sun in my being,
shining inside out. 
I don’t have the patience,
for I become the little girl 
on the nadan mangha tree,
swinging her feet 
and gorging on mangoes 
with the birds. 

So, to the adults who chee chee
and eeeewww 
my mango eating,
it’s none of your business 
how I eat my mango.



Bios:

About the Poet:
A born cat woman and bugs attractor, Vidya has grown up with all sorts of animals including her family. Her poems are inspired from her interactions with nature and the animals called humans caged in a zoo called society. She is an internal member of this zoo and so has deep insights into its working but also external as she never fits in. Now she has found her fit with her cats and her partner who is a Panda in the greenest part of Kerala. She writes from there and prefers her poems to travel and herself to stay at one place.

About the Illustrator:
Raaga Katta is a former HR turned artist. She is world famous on insta as Grey Brains (@grey_brains). She is a comic artist who adds zindagi to dark, mundane, absurd, weird, funny and cute moments of life with her quirkiness. Her brain only looks at complex situations as stories. Her fictional characters are funnier than her, you'll never see them in real coz they ain't so trivial. Wanna admire her, be a follower. Wanna be her, join her comic making workshop.

Stay in touch on Insta (@LampshadeWriters). We would love to hear from you! 

*
This poem was selected for the prompt Food/Taste in the month of Napowrimo - April 2023. 

Comments

Popular Posts