Childhood theme Lampshade Reading at Kaleidoscope (May)

On May 6, we gathered to read our poems on the theme of Childhood at the warm and cosy Kaleidoscope at Begumpet, Hyderabad run by Omana Hirantara. Poets read on various shades of Childhood - from the carefree times to the TV shows we watched to grave topics. 


A few poems from the reading

Childhood
by Apurva Yadavalli

Remember those free spirited times,
When the channel for your favourite cartoon,
Is all you can think of while having dinner,
Getting hold of that half broken bat,
In that street side cricket match is all that matters,
Saving up your school pocket money,
Just so you can buy that Ice gola.
Trying to cover up that little hole in your pants
Which came up when you were playing with your divider,
You lusted that cute pencil box,
And cried when your mother denied,
New books and covers excited you always,
Writing your names on your labels was pure joy,
You were proud of your name and alive to every moment,
Keep that child alive and it will sail you through life..

The poem was first published in Unprecedented 

 
Childhood 
by Parsa Rao

Childhood
The first phase of life

Exploring the world
With an open mind

Sans biases, Sans prejudices,
Sans beliefs

The world around is
Free, pleasant, pure,
full of love unqualified

No place for ugly traits
of hatred, jealousy, or enmity

The world is one crystal clear
Bubble of Joy and Happiness

Days filled with
Sunshine and pure
Friendships that last a
Lifetime

Childhood is that phase
Which will never, ever
Come back again.


How it feels 

by Shobha Latha


When I was 5, my grandma used to take me for a walk at night…

Wearing pink color shorts holding her index finger with my tiny little hand I used to walk like a penguin.


Do you know how it feels ?


I still remember, for that one boiled egg on my brother's plate, I used to get into a fight with him.

And then I used to take 10rs from my dad’s wallet and eat ice creams along with my brother without even getting noticed by anyone.


Do you know how it feels?


I made a havoc in the home to get that princess dress for my sixth birthday.

And while blowing the candles, I made a wish to get older as soon as possible.


Do you know how it feels?


When I was 10, I went to my cousin's place thinking that we would play a lot of games.

And then of course he played with me by groping and molesting me.


Do you know how it feels?







Comments

Popular Posts