Fun Fiesta: Writing Based on Prompts

 


On 27th August, 2023, Lampshade Writers organized an online Fun Fiesta celebrating Friendship Day and the month of friendship in August. 

There was a word chain game followed by a writing session based on prompts. Participants came up with interesting and thought-provoking poems and prose. 

Overall, there was much fun, laughter and a flow of that oft-coveted prize  creativity! 

Here are the write-ups that sprouted from the writing prompts. Happy reading!


Beginning of a short story based on the prompt “dandelion”

“They’re calling themselves the Order of the Dandelion.”

The minister placed a thumb on his temple, squeezing as he waited for the aide to continue.

“They’ve killed six people this past year. One of them was a local councilman.”

“Demands?”

“The usual – secession, reparations, restoration of certain artifacts…” There were more line items, but the aide didn’t bother.

“Dandelion. Dandelion…unusual name for a separatist group.”

“How so, your Excellency?”

The minister stood up and waddled to a window, leaning out and running his gaze over the castle grounds. “Roses. Tulips. Violets. Bougainvillea. No dandelions…why?”

 Raghav Prashant Sundar


Poem based on the prompts "cracked tumbler" and "floating dandelion"

Her delicate strand of hair Like a floating dandelion moves Touching her blushing cheeks To understand the cause of the strawberry flush While gathering pieces of the cracked tumbler Scattered on the floor.

Patrichia Dcruze


Prose piece based on the prompts "capsule to forget" and "open door"


I swallowed the capsule to forget. I feel elated to know that appreciation is what dominates my career, and my sweet, little cocoon. Mom reminds me how pretty how I look this morning, and how proud everyone is of my achievements.  Dad rang up – said that I have everything I ever wanted.


I have been postponing my plans to pop the pill; but now that I have, I feel nothing but silence and calm inside. Stress –  What’s that? Perseverance – why do I need it? Patience – fools need that. I feel nothing but calm  -- no push, no pull, no guidance  –  none of these needed now.


I am thinking of taking it again tomorrow, and the day after.


But I also see the open door – waiting for passion and progress to come through – it won’t settle for anything less; it won’t leave my sight.



Sreya. S


Poem based on the prompts "empty cup" and "scowling kid"
I remember the scowling kid I see on my morning walks, his mother trying to comfort him as he sat there with an empty cup Strangers passed them by, some dropped a few coins while the others threw a heartless shrug. On my way home the empty pavement reminds me of their journey, not knowing what is in store  –   an empty cup or a world full of limitless possibilities


Ganesh Rajgopal


Poem based on the prompts "unopened box" and "hairpin"

The Unopened Box My heart beating fast, I entered my mother’s room. Nothing had changed since last time, Only she wasn’t there.
The night stand, books and her prayer beads,
All in place. The dressing table, my favourite as a child , looked the same, But for a box in the corner, Unopened, I hadn’t seen before. With unsteady hands I opened it. There were large hairpins, The ones I always looked for my long tresses.

Shreyasi Rodricks


Poem based on the prompts "wispy cloud", "cracked tumbler", " unsung hero", "silver cobweb", " brush-like fingers" and "red moon"

Who Am I? In my dreams, I dance on wispy clouds,
I am that ballerina in my dreams, but
when awake an ordinary girl.
No wonder woman in reality, forget being an
unsung hero.
In my dreams I am everything I am not,
dancing on the red moon, playing with silver
cobwebs with brush-like fingers.
But when awake I see a cracked glass tumbler,
sitting quietly at the table staring back at me.

Surela Chakraborty


Poem based on the prompts "empty cup" and "lost sleep"
Empty Cup My mind Now an empty cup Thoughts, words The babble of meaning Gone Lost sleep The only dregs.


Ananya Sarkar


Comments

Popular Posts