Online Poetry Reading on Coffee

 


Online Poetry Reading on Coffee

On 21st January, 2024, Lampshade Writers had its first online poetry session of the year, on the theme "coffee." Participants from various parts of India shared their thoughts and perspectives on the much-loved beverage, coffee, through their poems. It was a cold winter morning made warm with the energy of coffee!

Here are some of the poems:


The Fifth Cup of Coffee

By Vidya Premkumar 

Recently,

I have begun summoning a fifth cup of coffee,

like a ritual,

each and every time,

infallibly.


A month has passed,

and I remain haunted by the sensation

of an ethereal presence in my dwelling.


A benevolent specter,

that steers my hand with a whisper,

grasping the spoon

and delicately scattering the surplus coffee

back into the jar

before subtly inhaling from my shadow

and bestowing it into the coffee filter.


A spirit enraptured by the fragrant aroma

billowing from the steaming brew.

A phantom voice that softly applauds

relishing the intensity of the ebony infusion.

An invisible hand that tenderly claims the extra cup

and joins us, unseen, on the couch

next to my mother,

savoring each sip with fervor.


Once the cup has journeyed to the sink,

the apparition reemerges

only when a distant plea

echoes from some hidden nook

of our abode for more coffee.


The coffee my father crafted was my beacon

of vitality.

Now, this fifth cup I craft

is a testament that he lingers

somewhere in the fabric of our home.


Untitled Poem

By Denise Noronha 

A morning kiss

Which can’t be missed

You can’t see the aroma

But it does exist.


It hits your head

And that’s the pure grace of

Not going back to bed.


So why complain?

When it helps to sustain

There’s no thrill

If it’s not insane.


You know that desire

The flame of fire

When you mix it well with water.


It’s not a sculpture 

But still a masterpiece.

You came in 

That soothes your soul

And makes you believe in.


It’s the one that gives you

That harmless kick.

Your comfort,

The warmest beverage when 

Your sick.


You believe in the presence,

And feel safe in the energy.

A Huge degree of intimacy,

A million reasons to drink it,

It’s coffee.


The Milked Workers of A Tormented Nation

By Samara

Today, I wanna talk about coffee.

Convenient, isn't it?

The elites, getting high on their caffeine juice at a Starbucks outlet,

While reading articles about mass bombings in Gaza.

Their sympathies lie with nobody

Even though Starbucks has declared bankruptcy.

The barista serves them all equally,

Working tirelessly and shamefully,

Just to keep their jobs.

Their hands are tied and tired with strains of coffee.


No, today I want to talk about the coffee workers,

Who are exploited for profitmaking.

They are an investment for the coffee conglomerates

As they pick the ripe coffee berries by hand, to be harvested.

All's not well, really, that ends well

The end being an irony

On how the workers of coffee plantations

Seldom enjoy a warm cuppa ever, in their lifetimes.

Our cold coffee is birthed out of the blood and sweat

Of the workers in the coffee plantations.


So now you know where the bitterness of the coffee comes from-

The ones who have been a victim of the genocide

Are too much dead to enjoy a warm cup of coffee

Or even the smell of it,

While a rich white US imperialist

Gulps down the tragedy of the Falesteeni

And shows no remorse

For one sip of carefully crafted coffee

Is the fairy godmother of a thousand deaths.


Now let's make a game out of it-

And enjoy your cup of coffee that caused a death of a plethora of innocent kids.

"Please enjoy your beverage, sir, and while you're at it,

Look up some more on how to occupy their land, Falasteen

With some coffee, blood, fears, and of course,

The best ingredient of all- their haunting screams and their woeful tears.”


Untitled Prose Poem

By Nivedita

He makes coffee like a devout soaked in the incense of the ritual. He speaks about the coffee’s Smells. Oils. Notes – words that I never associated with coffee. 

I just knew the 15 rupees wala bhaiya who would pour milk into the decoction and sweeten it less for me.

He inspects beans, ask questions, verifies it in his lab with coffee equipments and makes Black Coffee. 

Initially, when he would pour it in a small cup and offer me some. Prejudiced, I’d refuse. 

But one day, I took a sip to feel bitterness and none of what he was feeling. He explained to me, patiently– how to swirl the coffee in my mouth - feel the notes and the subtle flavor.

I tried. More than the coffee, I enjoyed the process and his company.


The Miraculous Cup of Coffee

By Riddhima Sen

In the coldest of days, 

When it’s hard to wake up to reality 

And face the harsh realities of the world 

All you need is a nice cup of coffee

Fresh and warm,

The aromatic coffee beans being brewed

In the coffee machine 

Freshens my mind 

Just like the dew drops

Falling on leaves

In the winter, which is cold

Yet, a cup of coffee

Warms things up, unlike the cold atmosphere outside. 


For You Alone

By Ananya Sarkar

When I can't do it on my own

You are always there for me

That never-ending work at office

You sit with me through it all

Prodding, encouraging, never giving up on me...

Your presence is quiet yet strong

Never forgetting to remind me that I am not alone

When I'm reading books or painting on the canvas

I need you by my side...my muse, my love.

And when I looked her in the eye

And popped the big question

You alone gave me the courage to do it.

Hot or cold, I like you anyway

Fresh and brewed

You make my day

My dear cup of coffee

I wouldn't lose you in any way.

***


Comments

  1. thought provoking poetry on coffee! the perspectives are so fresh and thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts