Poetry Reading at The Storyteller Bookstore, Kolkata | April


Poetry Reading at The Storyteller Bookstore, Kolkata | April 

In April, the third in-person poetry reading session took place in Kolkata. This was also the first session in the city in 2024. Located in Picnic Gardens, The Storyteller Bookstore with its vast stock of books of various kinds was the venue. The event saw people from all ages and walks of life who participated with equal enthusiasm.

The themes were "summer" and "parting". 

Here are some of the poems that were written and recited by the attendees themselves:


Theme: Parting

Parting

By Goutam Dutta


Some words got lost;

washed away,

amidst the flood of tears.

Some tried to make their way out

through the dark inner recess

of the mind,

unsuccessfully.

Some came to the lips;

but were scattered,

thrown apart,

by the quivering lips!

Those that eventually came out

and were heard,

were irrelevant,

meaningless,

frivolous.

The real words remained; 

unspoken,

conveyed however

by the eyes,

and the warmth of their touch!

Realms.


An Unfinished Story

By Sharbari Saha

That story was left unfinished

Words fell short or was it hesitation

The sky looked down and smiled

I could see the satirical smile on the clouds


We watched the sunrise

But at different times

We watched the sunset

But at different places

We walked the lanes

But at different paces

So though we wanted to

We could not be together

At any moment


Had you just spoken once

Had I just listened with patience

Had I spoken once

Had you listened to my story

Only if we had broken the walls

Of our individual pride

The eternal dilemma reigned

Our hearts could not decide whether

To speak or not to speak


Such are the unfinished tales

Of many  hesitant hearts

Rivulets drift away from the main river

But they don't break off from the main

Meandering far away it becomes difficult

To return  back and share stories...

Living as characters of an unfinished tale

Lives get wasted as a part remains barren


The stories the hearts would love to complete

But some tales are beautiful

Left incomplete! 


The Silent Companion

By Sharbari Saha

You ask me to choose

Something that will be mine

You promised to give me that

That will stay with me forever


I  sat to write a list of

All that I craved to possess

As I began to write ... I stopped

I pondered on what do I  really want


I thought for hours

I looked around inside outside

Looking for that one thing

That would stay with me ...forever


I saw a shadow of a person

With a faint smile on the face

Yet that smiling face had

Something that attracted me


I was curious to know the identity

Softly the smiling lips parted and said

I have been with you since your birth

I have been around you as you grew up


I am the one who actually protects you

All others ...everything else is only

For a short time to stay with you

I am your everlasting faithful companion


The smiling person stood by the door

Slightly blurred ... as the setting sun

Created some magic in the room

Of light and shade of colours and darkness


As I conversed I remained enchanted

Strangely I felt so calm so free and happy

I asked what can I write on my list

That would stay with me forever


The smile became more pronounced

I felt assured and felt that only a true friend

Can give me such solace such comfort

I was getting quite interested in this game


The smile mesmerized me

I requested that the identity be revealed

The voice very calmly said that

Only at a proper time will I reveal that


I could not wait to know

So nagged a bit as curious women do

Lifting the curtain and standing boldly

The loud whisper rang  in my ears


"I am DEATH"

The only certainty of life ...The only constant

The ónly faithful the ever comforting

This time I smiled with a heart full of GRATITUDE!


Harmony of Hearts

By Spondon Ganguli

The friendship that time has spun

And the love within my heart begun

Both entwined, no difference in the mind

 

The football match, a memory bind

On the bench, in the park, we find

Meaning in moments that the heart does start

 

Do you still come, to that corner depart?

In my dreams, to the world, we chart

Left behind, in a place where dreams are confined

 

I feel joyous, I feel a pang

Your presence lingers, a sweet harangue

In both my days and dreams, where emotions hang

 

The match you won, my heart, you've won

In the shade of trees, their leaves undone

For our love holds sway, as time sways away

 

The books we share, ownership astray

Reciting poems, a sweet ballet

Do you recall, the day we shed tears all


Theme: Parting

Hues of Summer

By Riddhima Sen

The hues of summer are vivid

Colourful and warm

Tinges of yellow sprinkled everywhere

As far as one can see .

The smell of mangoes stored in the kitchen

Seems prominent

On hot summer days.

***


 Our next Reading is on 19-May at 5 pm :)



Comments

Popular Posts